Thursday, September 28, 2006

Supporting our Churches

Hey, today I want to talk about one of the weakness in the Catholic Church. I used to be evangelical, I even went to Bible College, so I end up having different view points on certain things within my now Catholic faith. One of them being the lack of tithing.

Alright I know that this is not a general catholic problem, but it seems to be a pretty serious one in Quebec. Our churches need this support. There is a church near my house that is in desperate need of a new roof, a roof that is going to cost close to one quarter of a million. It seems that everytime they start building up some money for this project that something else breaks down that needs attention. I was discussing this with a friend of mine who is a member at this church and he seemed quite concerned about the issue. After he caught me up on the situation I was left wondering ‘how quickly would this problem be solved if people in that church were tithing.

In the Old Testament it was a Law for the Jews to tithe, because they had to take care of the dwellings of God (temple), as well as the keeper of His house (the priest). We do not find this command in the New Testament, however we do hear Paul referring to taking up collections for the work of the saints. He also says that we must be joyful givers, not resentful of what we “give-up”.

So how about today, should we be tithing? I think it is time that we really look at what we give to the church. Is our Sunday pocket change actually able to support our churches? Well it is at least something to think about. Remember Worship is at the heart of life.

No comments: